Located in earthquake prone regions of the world and the likelihood of destructive earthquakes in all parts of the country, understanding the nature of Iran from the perspective of Seismotectonics and seismicity has significance. Seismological Research Center emphasized the important purpose of research, technology and education in all branches related to seismology and obligations under the program to the necessaries of the country.
Programs and objectives:
- Comprehensive analytical, experimental, field and Instrumental studies with the aim of better understanding and more accurate seismic sources (faults), Earth's crust and mantle of Iran, seismicity, seismic risk ;
- Zoning, producing maps and development of earthquake catalog data;
- PhD Program in Geophysics with Seismology trend since 2001
- MSc Program in Geophysics with Seismology trend since 2007
- Technical and advisory services in various areas of seismology, seismotectonics, Hazard and earthquake risk analysis ;
- Research and technology cooperation with research and educational centers, national and international organizations.
Currently, the seismological research center is composed of three main research groups as follows:
- Seismology Department
- Seismotectonics Department
- Engineering Seismology Department