Iran, being located between two Arabian and Euro-Asian tectonic plates, has experienced several destructive earthquakes, leaving heavy causalities and serious deterioration in different periods of its history. Over 130 severe earthquakes happened in the 20th century in this country, leaving socio-economic losses and long-lasting effects, indicate the seismicity and vulnerability of this country. Unfortunately, during some of these disastrous natural events even the invaluable evidences of ancient Persian culture have been flattened to the ground. All the aforementioned facts confirm the crucial necessity of being concerned about seeking a remedy in order to prevent and diminish these effects. Regarding high seismicity, vulnerability and high seismic risk of this region, International Institute of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (IIEES) was established in November 1989 following the suggestion of 24th UNESCO General Conference and approval of Iranian government “Council of Higher Education Development” based on the investment of Iranian experts in the earthquake engineering.
In order to realize the goals of institute and develop the knowledge in this arena, training the intelligent students could be of great help. In this regard, IIEES was approved as a “Research Center” at the 408th meeting of “Council of Higher Education Development” in 1999 and then its new doctrine was affirmed in August 2001.
Today IIEES is engaged in implementation of national and international projects and will take effective steps in protecting the lives and properties of human being against the activities of nature thanks to all its responsible and qualified researchers.
The main goals of IIEES are investigation, technology and education in all aspects pertinent to seismology, earthquake engineering, earthquake hazard, and suggesting practical approaches and supporting their implementation to reduce the risks of earthquakes, and develop the security culture against earthquakes in this country and in the region.
IIEES is composed of different research departments, including Seismology, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Risk Management, Graduate Studies, Information Technology, and International Relations.
IIEES missions in seismotectonic, seismology, geotechnical engineering, structural engineering, disaster management, education, advertising, technology and consulting services are:
- Analytical, experimental, field and instrumental comprehensive studies and researches focusing on better understanding of seismic sources (faults), Iran earth’s crust, seismicity, earthquake risk, zonation, providing any relevant maps and stating the earthquake data catalogs.
- Establishing, development and improving Iranian National Seismic Network and other seismographic and accelerographic networks for foreseeing and better understanding of seismic activities in Iran and the region.
- Performing all aspects related to seismic and vibrating supervision and also Iranian National Data Center (NDC) pertinent to the comprehensive contract of prohibiting nuclear tests.
- Analytical, experimental, field and instrumental comprehensive studies and researches in liquefaction, landslides, the effects of sites on strong ground motions, soil and structure interactions, zonation and geotechnical microzonation, and preparing the relevant maps and other pertinent affairs.
- Theoretical studies and researches for innovation and improving the analytical and designing methods of soil mechanics and foundation engineering focusing on dynamic loading in behavioral models, soil mechanics of multi phases porous media, earth-structures behavior and similar cases.
- Analytical, experimental, field and instrumental Comprehensive studies and researches in seismic safety of structures (buildings, lifelines, industrial and power plants structures, important structures such as dams, bridges, tanks, etc.).
- Developing seismic design methods and constructing new structures, retrofitting the structures against earthquakes and stating relevant guidelines and codes.
- Developing the modern structural technology for semi-industrial construction of earthquake resistant buildings.
- Providing, improving and ameliorating the facilities of fixed and field laboratories, scaling devices and seismic isolators for IIEES research aims, and installing the necessary scaling instruments in the important structures of the country.
- Constructing the experimental equipments and field scaling in the relevant research areas.
- Comprehensive analysis of earthquake hazard, risk and vulnerability of big cities, risk management, stating the earthquake hazard reduction methods and supporting their implementation.
- Research, education and technological macro planning related to hazard reduction of the country and risk and hazard management (prevention, preparation, polishing and reconstructing) against earthquakes from the point of engineering, economical, social and cultural views.
- Promoting the culture of safety, prevention and readiness against earthquake at all society levels.
- Holding educational courses, national and international exhibitions and workshops upon standards and rules current in the country.
- Cooperating with industrial units, implementation organisms and engineering society through presenting consulting and technological services.
- Scientific research and technological cooperation with the internal and external research and educational centers and international scientific associations following the current standard and rules.