| Mohsen GHAFORY-ASHTIANY
Present Occupation:Distinguished Professor
Fax: +98 21 2229 9479
Joined IIEES on 3 Dec. 1989
|Selected Publications||Professional Experience||Research/Teaching & Memberships||Education|
- Ph.D. in Earthquake Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (VPI & SU), USA, 1983
- M.Sc. in Structural Dynamic, VPI&SU, USA, 1981
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering, VPI&SU, USA, 1979
- B.Sc. Nuclear Engineering, VPI&SU, USA, 1979
- Earthquake Risk management
- Seismic hazard assessment
- Random Vibration
- Seismic Isolation
- Equipment-structure interaction
- Quick loss and Risk assessment using the remote sensing technique.
- Seismic vulnerability evaluation of elevated water tanks and proposing some solutions for increasing their seismic safety
- Analytical and experimental study on floor isolation in seismic design of buildings.
- Developing intelligent software for damage detection of steel structures.
- Vulnerability evaluation of industrial equipment by considering their interaction effects.
Recent Accomplished Projects
- Experimental study on common steel structures in Iran
- Multi-support Excitation study of large span bridges.
- Risk Analysis of the mega-city of Tehran
- Evaluation of damages occurred by an earthquake using the recorded accelerograms of the buildings
- Vulnerability Reduction Project of Tehran.
- Random Vibration in Ph.D. Level at IIEES
- Earthquake Engineering in Master Level at IIEES
- Earthquake Risk Analysis in Master and Ph.D. Level at IIEES
- Director and member of Executive Committee of International Association of Earthquake Engineering (IAEE)
- Chairman of IASPEI Commission on “Earthquake Hazard, Risk and Strong Ground Motion”.
- Ex-Scientific member of Disaster Prevention and Management Headquarter.
- Committee on Strengthening of existing public building and infrastructure
- Founding member, Director board member and Inspector of Iranian Earthquake Engineering Association up to Spring 2006.
- Iran’s Risk Reduction Council.
- Faculty Member of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran , Booshehr Nuclear Plant – Research Center, Apr. 1985 – Dec. 1989, Iran
- Professional designer of nuclear plants, Bektel Company, Jan. 1984 – Feb. 1985, U.S.A.
- Founder and President of IIEES: 3 Dec. 1989 – 3 Dec. 2006
- Chairman of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th International Conf. on Seismology and Earthquake Engineering, 90-2003
- Coordinator of National Data Centers of the CTBT members, WGB-CTBTO, 2002-2007
- “UNESCO-UNDP-UN/ISDR-IIEES Alliance for Earth Risk Reduction in Developing Countries” manager
- Editor-in-chief of Journal of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (JSEE). From its establishment to 2007
- Editor-in-chief of IIEES Research Bulletin. From its establishment to 2007
- “Identification of Modal Parameters of Non-Classically Damped Linear Structures under Multi-Component Earthquake Loading”; M. Mahmoudabadi, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, M. Hosseini, Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology; May 2007
- “Post Bam Recovery and Reconstruction”, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany , Special Issue of Journal of Natural Hazards; Paper No. NHAZ121, November 2007.
- “Elastomeric Isolators with Steel Rings: A Theoretical, Experimental and Numerical Study”, H. Poormohammad, M. Ziyaefar, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, Journal of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (JSEE), Vol. 8 No. 2, Summer 2006
- “Crustal Velocity Structure in Iranian Kopeh-Dagh, from Analysis of P-Waveform Receiver Functions”; G. Nowrouzi, K. F. Priestley, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, G.Javan Doloei, and D. J. Rham; Journal of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (JSEE), Vol. 8 No. 4, Winter 2006.
- “A New Look at Earthquake Engineering: Simplification of a Complex Phenomenon”, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, JSEE, Vol. 7 No.2, Summer 2005.
- “History, Geography and Economy of Bam” M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, R. Mousavi, Special Earthquake Spectra: Special Issue on Bam Earthquake, Vol. 21, No. S1, pp. S3-S11, December 2005.
- “New Approaches for Non-classically Damped System Eigenanalysis” M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, K. Khanlari, Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics (EESD), Vol. 34, pp. 1073-1087, April 2005.
- “Identification of Modal Parameters of Classically Damped Linear Structures under Multi-Component Earthquake Loading”, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, M. Mahmood-Abadi, JSEE, Vol.7, No.1, Spring 2005.
- “UN Strategy for Support to the Government of Iran Following the Bam Earthquake of 26 December 2003”, K. Kishor, S.K. Jha, F. Lyons, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany and V.K. Atabaki, JSEE Special Issue on Bam Earthquake, Vol.5, No.4, Winter 2004
- “Seismological Constraints on the Crustal structure beneath the Zagros Mountain Belt (Iran)”, D. Hatzfeld, M. Tatar, K. Priestly and M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, Geophysical Journal International, Vol. 155, pp 403-410, October 2003.
- “The Crustal Velocity Structure Beneath the Zagros Mountain Belt (Iran)”, D. Hatzfeld, M. Tatar, K. Priestly, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany. JSEE. Vol. 3, No. 3, Dec. 2002.
- “Floor Response Spectra for Multicomponent Earthquake Input”, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, A. Fiouz, Journal of Esteghlal, Vol. 21, No. 1, September 2002.
- “The Effect of Random Mass, Stiffness and Eccentricity Parameters on Seismic Response of Torsional System, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 25, No.1, Winter 2001
- ” Damage Assessment Using Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm”, K. Saberi-Haghighi, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany and C. Lucas; Journal of Seismology and earthquake Engineering (JSEE); Vol. 2, No. 2, Spring 2000
- “Earthquake Hazard Mitigation Achievement in Iran”, M. Ghafory-Ashtiany, M.K. Jafari, and M. Tehranizadeh, Proceeding of the 12th world Conference on Earthquake Engineering (12WCEE); Paper No. 2380, Auckland, New Zealand, January 2000