This department is to identify the seismogenic geological structures and develop the maps of major active faults in Iran. Some of the activities of Seismotectonic department are:
- Identification of active faults through recognizing their ground surface evidences;
- Studying the earthquake faults focusing on post-seismic deformation;
- Preparing neotectonic stress maps by using fault plane data;
- Evaluating crustal deformation using GPS data;
- Paleoseismological investigations;
- Applying earthquake geology for seismic hazard assessment.