|Yasamin O. IZADKHAH
Present Occupation: Assistant Professor,
Risk Management Research Center
Fax: +98 21 22803933
Joined IIEES on October 1990
|Selected Publications||Professional Experience||Research/Teaching & Memberships||Education|
- Post-doctoral Research, South Asian Tsunami of Dec. 2004 Project, Resilience Centre, Cranfield University, Feb. 2005- Sept. 2006
Ph.D., Disaster Management, Cranfield University, UK, 2004
Thesis Title: Bridging the Generations: A Critical Assessment of Disaster Education in the Development of a Seismic Safety Culture in Iran
- M.Ed., in English Education, Azad Islamic University, 1993
- B.A., in English Literature, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran., Iran, 1989
- Public Awareness of Disaster Risks
- Public Education
- Disaster Management Training
- Community-Based Risk Management
- Gender and Disasters
- Vulnerability and Development
- Disaster Cultural Studies
- Disaster Risk Reduction Issues.
Accomplished and Active Projects
- Author of a booklet in two languages, “Earth, Science, and Safety”, a joint project of IIEES, UNDP, and UNESCO (1998).
- Translator and Editor of 2 educational books on disasters from Persian to English, Joint projects, IIEES+UNDP (1996) (1997), and 40 disaster reports, papers and films.
- Member of the experts group in “Evaluation of UNICEF’s Support to Mine Action Project, for methodology and analysis, April 2006.
- Project Manager “Neighborhood Sustainable Development, a Key to Disaster Risk Reduction in Iran”, March 2008- Sept. 2009.
- Project Manager “An Assessment of the Applicable Methods in Teaching Earthquakes to Preschool Children”, October 2009-April 2011.
- Project Manager “Evaluation of Women’s Role in Confronting Earthquakes”, March 2011-present.
- Author/co-author of 85 research papers including 63 conference papers, 13 journal and bulletin papers and 6 posters and 3 papers under submission.
- Editor and proofreader of many English informative and educational brochures and catalogues, 10 books and more than 100 journal papers.
- Translator of educational book on “Tsunami and Earthquakes”, May 2005.
- Certificates in various academic courses related to CBDM, Training of Trainers (TOT), Disaster Management, Mine Action, ……..
- Contribution to “School Safety, Case Study of Iran” in IIEES website and the international online website: http://www.interragate.info/cogss/iran.html, June 2006.
- Contribution as a Research Disaster Management Expert in World Bank Project on “Implementation of Local Disaster Management in Iran”, Jan. 2008- June 2009.
- Contributor to the “Guidance Notes on Safer School Construction”, Published by INEE, Inter-agency Network for Education in Emergencies, 2009.
- Co-author of Book “Earthquake, Awareness and Safety”, Azad Islamic University, 72 pages, Published March 2009 (In Persian).
- Reviewer of first section of the project entitled “Iran: Earthquake Emergency Reconstruction, Facilitation of Community Participation, Evaluation of Fields and Local Participation Capacities to Reconstruct Qazvin Province Affected Regions”, Ministry of Interior and World Bank, 2010.
- Contributor to Teaching Earthquakes to Kindergarten Children and Discussions with Teachers, 2010.
- Supervisor and advisor of MSc Thesis related to Earthuqake and Tsunami issues.
- Public Awareness of Disaster Risks
- Case Studies of Major Disasters
- Disaster Management Planning
- Models of Resilience
- Introduction to Disaster Management
- Community-Based Disaster Management
- Earthquake Impacts
- Member of Gender-and-Disaster-Network
- Member of Spider Network (Science and Policy Interfaces for Disaster Reduction)
- Member of Radix Network (Radical Interpretations of Disaster)
- Member of COGSS-DPE Network.
- Member of RESILIENT-CITIES@GROUPS.PREVENTIONWEB.NET
- Member of Edu4DRR website
- Member of INEE, Inter-Agency network for Education in Emergencies
- UNICEF Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Pool of DRR Experts Member
- Member of Academia.edu
- Member of LinkedIn Group.
- Member of Climate for Change Website
- Member of Understanding Risk Website.
- 1990-2001, Superior Expert, International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES),
Executive Dept.’s = International Relations Dept., and Head Office
Research Dept.’s = Disaster Management and Public Education Dept’s.
Selestiuon of Activities: SEE-1, 2 and 3 Executive Secretary (1991-1995 and 1999)
- Member of SEE5 and SEE6 Eexcutive and Scientific Committee 2007 and 2011.
- JSEE Journal Production Manager, 1998-2009
- Member of IDRC Conference Scientific Committee, Davos, Switzerland, 2010
- JSEE Executive Director, 2009-2011
- Executive Director, IIEES Farsi Bulletin, 2010-present
- 1. “Toward Resilient Communities in Developing Countries through Education of Children for Disaster Preparedness”, Izadkhah Y.O., Hosseini. M., International Journal of Emergency Management, 2005, Vol. 3, (2), pp.138-148.
- 2. “Building Resilient Urban Communities”, Davis, I. and Izadkhah, Y.O. Special Issue on South Asian Tsunami, Open House International Journal, Vol.31 (1) 2006, pp.11-21.
- 3. “Earthquake Disaster Management for Schools in Developing Countries”, M. Hosseini, Y.O. Izadkhah, Disaster Prevention and Management Journal, Vol. 15 (4), Sept. 2006.
- 4. “Problems and Opportunities in the Integration of School Education Programmes Within Wider Seismic Risk Reduction Strategies”, Y.O.Izadkhah, I. Davis, 8NCEE, San Francisco, April 2006.
- 5. “Community Challenges Following Darb-e-Astaneh (Silakhore), Iran Earthquake of March 31, 2006”, Y.O. Izadkhah, and M. Hosseini, 9CCEE, Canada 2007.
- 6. “Disaster Preparedness Strategy through Earthquake Education and Training of Classified Target Groups”, Y.O. Izadkhah, and M. Hosseini, Second INDM, Feb. 2007.
- 7. “Using the Unusual Behavior of Animals for Earthquake Prediction in Urban Areas”, Hosseini, M. and Izadkhah, Y.O., IDRC 2007 Conference, Harbin, China (Extended Abstract).
- 8. “Applicable Methods in Teaching Earthquakes to Preschool Children”, Izadkhah, Y.O. and V. Heshmati , SEE-5 Conference, May 2007.
- 9. “On the Role of Quality Management in Earthquake Disaster Risk Reduction”. Hosseini, M. and Izadkhah, Y.O. 4th International Conference on Excellence Management and Quality Management Systems, June 2007, Tehran.
- 10. “Tsunami Early Warning System (EWS) and Its Integration within the Chain of Seismic
Safety”, Davis, I. and Izadkhah, Y., Disaster Management and Prevention Journal, Vol. 17, (2), pp 281-291, 2008.
- 11. “People’s Perspectives and Expectations on Preparedness against Earthquakes: Tehran Case Study”, Jahangiri, K., Izadkhah, Y.O., Montazeri, A. and Hosseini, M. JIVR Journal, Vol. 1, No. 2, 2009, Tehran, Iran.
- 12. “Appropriate and Correct Reactions during Earthquakes: Drop, Cover and Hold on or Triangle of Life”, Mahdavifar, M.R., Izadkhah, Y.O. and Heshmati, V., JSEE, Spring 2009, Vol. 11, (1), pp41-48.
- 13. “Training Emergency Managers for Earthquake Response: Challenges and Opportunities”,
Hosseini. M., Izadkhah, Y.O., Vol.19, (2), pp185-195, 2010.
- 14. “Patterns on Earthquake and Safety at School and Preschool Levels”, Heshmati, V. and Izadkhah, Y.O., Quarterly Journal of R&R (In Persian), Nov. 2010.
- 15. “Sustainable Neighbourhood Earthquake Emergency Planning in Megacities” by Y.O. Izadkhah and M. Hosseini, Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol.13, (3), pp345-357, 2010.
- 16. “An Evaluation of Disaster Preparedness in Four Major Earthquakes in Iran”, JSEE Journal, Spring and Summer Spring 2010.
- 17. “Vulnerability of Elderly People in the Aftermath of Earthquakes”, Y.O. Izadkhah and V. Heshmati, Rebuilding Sustainable Communities with the Elderly and Disabled People after Disasters Conference, 2010 Boston, USA.
- 18. “On the Use of Mobile Phones in Earthquake Emergency Response”, Y.O. Izadkhah and M. Hosseini, 2011, Proceedings of SEE6 Conference, Tehran, Iran.
- 19. “Using Puppet Gloves in Teaching Earthquake to Preschool Children”, Izadkhah, Y.O. and Heshmati, V. 2011, Proceedings of SEE6 Conference, Tehran, Iran.
- 20. “A Catastrophe Worse than the Earthquake Itself”, Ahmadi, M.H. and Izadkhah, Y.O., 2011, Proceedings of SEE6 Conference.
- 21. “Earthquake Preparedness: Experiences from the Bam Earthquake”, Izadkhah, Y.O. and Amini, K. 2011, Proceedings of SEE6 Conference, Tehran, Iran.
- 22. “Patterns on Earthquake and Safety at School and Preschool Levels”, Heshmati, V. and Izadkhah, Y.O., Quarterly Journal of R&R (In Persian), Nov. 2010.
- 23. “Seismic Safety of Non-structural Elements in Hospitals”, M. Hosseini and Y.O. Izadkhah, First National Conference on Disaster Management and Lifelines, Ministry of Interior, Tehran, 2011.
- 24. “A Comparative Study on Community-Based Disaster Management in Selected Countries and Designing a Model for Iran”, Jahangiri, K. , Izadkhah, Y.O. and Tabibi, S., Disaster Prevention & Management, Vol. 20 (1), Pages 82-94, 2011.
- 25. “Dissemination of Earthquake Safety Culture in Iran by Educating Children Using Simulators”, Y.O.Izadkhah and M.H. Ahmadi, 2010, Accepted for publication in IIEES Bulletin.